A blog from the University of Borås

Friday, November 28, 2008

New labour regulations for international students

The Swedish parliament has decided to implement changes in the legislation which means changed rules for labour immigration for people outside the EU/EEA and Switzerland. From 15 December the Swedish Migration Board has full responsibility to process applications from persons who want to work in Sweden.

The changes let the employer – not the public authorities – decide if there is the need to employ a third-country national. This certainly positively affects international students because old regulation made it very difficult if not impossible for international students to stay in Sweden and work after completing their studies.

Previously international students needed to apply for a work permit using the same process as any other foreigner wanting to work in Sweden. This meant that international students had a very hard time to get a work permit even if they have found an employer willing to hire them because the restrictions are that there is a labour shortage that forces the employer to recruit internationally, or that the employee brings a special skill to the job that cannot be found in the country.

What is required to be granted a work permit:
If you want to work in Sweden, you must have an offer of employment from an employer in Sweden. To get a permit, you must also:

  • Have a valid passport.
  • Earn enough from employment to support yourself.

In addition, your employer must:

  • Have advertised the job vacancy in Sweden and the EU.
  • Offer terms of employment equivalent to a Swedish collective agreement or customary terms for the occupation or industry.
  • Give the relevant union an opportunity to state an opinion on the terms of the offer of employment.

Where do you apply for a residence and work permit?
The main rule is that people who want to work in Sweden must apply for a residence and work permit in the country of origin or another country outside Sweden in which you reside.

But, you may apply in Sweden if you are:

  • A student with a student residence permit and have completed at least 30 higher education credits or one semester/term of postgraduate education in Sweden. There is more information below, under “Students at a Swedish university or college”.

How long is the permit valid?
If the employment is temporary, you will be issued a residence and work permit valid only for the same period, but for a maximum of two years at a time.

After 48 months, you will become eligible for a permanent residence permit.

How much does it cost?
Most applicants are required to pay an application fee. The fee is SEK 2,000 for the initial application and in certain cases for an extension. When an application to extend a permit concerns the same employer or the same occupation the fee is SEK 1,000.

For more information students can refer to www.migrationsverket.se/english.jsp. Click on "Work permits" and "New regulations".

1 comment:

  1. wooooooooo
    that s great to have a blog for internatinal students.
    keep do good job,