A blog from the University of Borås

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Extension of residence permits

For information about extensions of your residence permit see Extension - studying in Sweden at the website of the Swedish Migration Board.

Additional information:

You can get an extension of your residence permit to do re-exams or finish your thesis.

You can also get an extension to carry out an internship in Sweden, even if it is not part of your studies. You then need to apply for an extension of your permit “to visit”. If the internship is paid you also need a work permit. But the rules for the level of salary are not as strict as with a “regular” job. There are however different rules depending on the nature of the internship, each case is handled individually.

Remember to always apply for an extension before your current permit expires.

You cannot get an extension of your residence permit to look for a job. There have been discussions about giving students the possibility to stay in Sweden for six months to look for a job, but today it is not possible unfortunately. You need to have a job offer before your studies end in order to get a work visa.

No comments:

Post a Comment